Thursday, May 8, 2014

PRAYING AND LIVING IN HIS NAME


What did Jesus mean when He told us to pray in His name? John 14:14 reads,

If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

In this chapter Jesus gave us a clear explanation. Phillip had asked Him to show them the Father. Jesus responded by declaring His unity with the Father.

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.

A few verses later Jesus gave us what is arguably the most astounding promise in the Bible.

     Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”

Shortly after this declaration Jesus said,

     In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

Jesus said we will pray such prayers in union with Him, for His glory and in His power.

In John 7:18 Jesus said,

“The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood.”

Praying in His name is more than saying the words. It is praying in the purposes and for the glory of the One who has called us. And we will see greater things for His glory than He did while He walked on the earth. Are you praying for the gospel to the whole world? Do you ask for righteousness on the earth? Are you praying for His glorious return? Are you praying whatever the Father prompts you to pray?

AM I ASKING?

by David Young

PSALM 2:7,8

I will tell of the decree: The LORD said to me, "You are my Son; today I have begotten you. Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession.

 

It is hard to sit among those content with the comfortable mundane

And say out loud, “I am God-endowed with a mission to fulfill.”

It is a step of faith to stand unflinching and to all proclaim,

“I hear His call, despite it all. I know; I have been shown God’s will.

I have a vision of distant lands and people beyond the seas.”

He’s not forgotten His Only Begotten, and He’s shown His will to me.

 

He told me, too, “You are my son! Today I gave you heaven’s birth.

My precious one, to know I Am will be your inheritance and wealth.”

The Firstborn of many chosen brothers shares His holy worth.

Like the Father’s promised only Son, He holds me to Himself.

He is the Vine and I’m a branch on the heavenly family tree.

He’s not forgotten His Only Begotten, and He keeps His hold on me.

 

So will I ask for healing, wealth or some other selfish blessing?

For temporal toys and shallow joys, and maybe a nice vacation?

The ends of the earth are promised to me, given for my possessing.

He tells me, “You are mine; ask me for the distant teeming nations.”

They can be ours to know and love and tell as far as God can see.

He’s not forgotten His Only Begotten, and He will answer me.

 

Have I prayed for the Berbers and the Bora, the Jula, or the Han? 

Will I ask for Madagascar, Persia, or the isles of the Coral Sea?

I can seek Him for the nations, Africa, Asia and far beyond.

I can pray and preach and go out and teach as far as I will believe.

He’s not forgotten His Only Begotten, and He has promised me.


No comments:

Post a Comment