Thursday, September 19, 2013

HOLINESS 2

“Strive for peace with all men, and for holiness

without which no one will see God.”

(Heb. 12:14)

Holiness Is Internal.

The scribes and Pharisees in Jesus’ day kept strict rules of behavior. But Jesus rebuked them. “You are like whitewashed tombs, beautiful on the outside, but inside full of corruption and dead men’s bones. Holiness must begin internally. If you cleanse the inside of your coffee cup, the outside will be clean too. So too with your heart. 
We are always tempted to play to a human audience. Jesus warned us not to do our acts of righteousness, like praying or fasting, before men to be seen by them. We are to do what is righteous before God who sees in secret. I have to admit that I have not kept this command. I often have to confess that I wanted to please or impress people rather than God. Jesus says this even harder. “Be careful lest people see your good works and you lose your reward from God.

Next week I will post the final and most important thing I have to say about holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment