Thursday, January 3, 2013

A PRAYER RESOLUTION


Possibly from lack of success we do not talk so much about New Year’s resolutions in these days. Still, I believe they can be really good for us spiritually. Paul seemed to be projecting a goal driven life when he wrote, "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." However, I think we would be much more pleased with the process as well as the outcome if we altered our approach to resolutions. They become little more than emotional outbursts if they are not primarily prayer. I hear Peter saying. "Lord, I am willing to die for You!" But his actions didn’t prove his words true.
First, it is important to spend time praying for God to show you what new goals or disciplines you need to adopt. Resolutions are foolish and futile if they do not come from God. Then we need to write them out. And I suggest that you write them down as prayers. "Lord help me . . ." And finally, if you really believe they are the will of God, it is worth making them as prayer commitments. By this I mean making to resolution to pray all year that God will bring the necessary changes in you. Suppose you believe God is urging you to begin rising earlier to pray longer each morning. Do not simply resolve to get up early. Commit to ask God all year to develop this discipline in you. For one thing you are less prone to give up because of failure. You may find yourself praying, “Father, I have stopped rising early to pray. But I am sticking with my commit to ask You to develop this in me.” I need to add one more important reminder to this. We are in a spiritual war. And the enemy of our souls will attack serious commitments. Hence prayer is the most important weapon of defense against his attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment