Thursday, September 6, 2012

PRAYING FOR PRAYER

Many years ago I was asked to speak at a prayer retreat for a church. They had heard that the church I pastored agreed at the beginning of each year on a few things that all of us would pray for in the year. They wanted to do the same thing and asked me to help them come up with a list. One of the things they thought they should pray for that year was that they might become a praying church. They chose three other things they all believed they needed to pray for. Then they reduced each statement into one word so it would be easy to remember. When they came to becoming a praying church, they simply used the word “PRAYER.” I thought it very appropriate for them to be praying for prayer.

I pray for my prayers. I pray for God to help me discipline myself to spend time in prayer. I pray for God to help me keep my mind focused while I am praying. I pray for God to direct my heart to pray in His will. And I trust the Spirit who aids us in our weaknesses to inspire the prayers of my heart.

2 comments:

  1. It's been said that before a crusade event, Billy Graham often spent as many four hours a day in prayer. I've never thought of praying to pray. But, I have desired a deeper prayer relationship with my Father in heaven. Dave you've made a good point for me to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned that my life is and should be a prayer, yet too often I get off track and lose sight of my purpose in prayer. This is an excellent reminder for me to reflect on and ask the Spirit to lead and guide me as I seek communion with the Father!
    Thank you David!!
    Blessings,
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete