Thursday, September 20, 2012

Out of the Depths 2 GLORIFY YOUR NAME!


How do you pray when your heart is troubled? Think with me back to a time when your heart was grieved or broken. Some of you do not have to think far back. How did you pray? Did you pray for comfort? Did you pray for deliverance? Did you ask God to turn your heart ache into joy? Did you ask him to change your circumstances? Those are surely legitimate prayers.
Do you ever ask yourself or God what you should pray in such times? In John 12:27 we find Jesus before the cross asking what He should pray.

Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say?

‘Father, save me from this hour’?”

But Jesus knew His purpose in life was not to avoid pain. Is that your purpose in living? It is not your purpose before God.

On this occasion Jesus prayed His purpose and ours.

“Father, glorify Your Name!”

The Father affirmed the rightness of that prayer with a thunderous voice from heaven.

I have glorified it and will glorify it again!”

Some of the people standing around said, “It thundered!” Others said, “An angel has spoken to him!” But Jesus said, “No. This voice was not for my sake but yours.” The voice was for us. Are you asking God to glorify His name?”

4 comments:

  1. David,
    The other night I was having a difficult time sleeping. Much on my heart. After praying for some time, the Lord led me to the same thought: "Father, Glorify Your Name." Thank you for these words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good man, Joe. May He continue to glorify His Name through you.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, what a blessed reminder that our entire lives are meant to be set to glorify the Father.

    "Father, glorify your name!"
    "I have brought you glory on earth..."
    "This is to my Father's glory..."

    These statements are meant to be my life--I only wish I could say they were. I pray that someday my life will bring glory to Him.

    ReplyDelete