Tuesday, September 1, 2015

STRETCHING MY LOVE IN PRAYER

I took a break from my blog during the month of August, 2015. And I told you I would see you in September. Well, it is September. And I am back as I said I would be. I pray for God to speak to each of you in these entries.

I am so blessed to have people whom I love and love me on daily prayer lists. I am not sure anything cultivates my love for them like prayer. I also have the names of people on prayer lists who are hard to love or even like. Exercising kindness toward them is necessary for feeling and growing my love for these people. But these actions must begin with and be carried out in prayer.
FORGIVENESS AND PRAYER
I have people on prayer lists who have wronged me, or worse, harmed people I love. God clearly impressed me to put these people on prayer lists. But I do often find it difficult to pray for them. Praying in general helps me understand and apply the truth of God's grace to them. God's forgiving love begins to rub off on me. Especially as I put forgiveness into words by asking God, even against my will, to forgive them.
PATIENCE AND PRAYER
Interestingly enough I often need more patience with people who are closer to me than those I have trouble loving. They are sinners, and I am a sinner. We sin against each other. I thank God that prayer brings me into contact with God's patience. Despite what the devil accuses I can go to God in confession immediately after sinning. I am still His child even after I sin. Praying in that grace opens my heart to patience with others even when we rub each other the wrong way.
HUMILITY AND PRAYER
I am not sure anything is as necessary to love as humility. And nothing cultivates humility like access to God by grace in prayer. I do not deserve the privilege of prayer. The Son of God had to die on a cross to purchase it for me. I did not just need a little more righteousness to see the kingdom of God. I had to be born again. And I am no more deserving of God's grace than that person I find it difficult to love.
Today I plan to pray specifically for God to show His great love to everyone one my prayer lists and people I come in contact with all day.
Next week I intend to begin a series of blog entries on the Foundations of Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment