Wednesday, April 1, 2015

PRAYING IN THE TIME OF SPIRITUAL ATTACK

A lady asked to speak with me this past Sunday. She shared something that did not surprise me at all. “I need you to pray with me,” she said. “I have been under spiritual attack, and I don’t know what to do.” I sympathize with her. In fact, I have recently been under great spiritual attack. And others have shared similar concerns with me in the past few months. I wonder if the enemy is intensifying his onslaught. Revelation 12:12 tells us that at some point our enemy will be filled with fury because he knows his time is short. Is this such a day?
It is interesting that we are shocked by this experience. The scripture warns us that this is going to happen. 1 Peter 4:12 reads,
“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering,
as though something strange were happening to you.”
I think it is obvious that we need to pray when we come under spiritual attack. Ephesians 6:11-18, a classic scripture passage on spiritual warfare, concludes with the admonition,
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.
With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.”
Let me point out from this passage several reasons prayer is so important. Prayer in the Spirit of God is crucial in connecting with the promises of God. In prayer we remind ourselves of His faithfulness, His mighty power and His nearness to us.
We benefit spiritually from fellowship with God. I love Philippians 4:5 that tells us to let our gentleness be evident to all because the Lord is near. It is important to know that a major purpose of the world, the flesh and the devil in spiritual attack is to make you anxious, to take away your peace and hope, to disrupt this major witness of the difference that can be seen in us because of the Spirit of God working in our lives. This whole passage rings with the music of prayer. Verses 6 and 7 read,
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
It is by prayer that we put on our spiritual armor. It is by prayer that we guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. In prayer we are reminded of God’s purposes that the enemy will interrupt in any way he can. Finally prayer binds our hearts to other believers who need our prayer as they face the same kinds of attack.





No comments:

Post a Comment